View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 08:13 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
He burst on to the scene with Vezina and Calder Trophies in his rookie year - which made him the darling of Buffalo Sabres fans. After that, his GAA ballooned, save% fell and the team missed the playoffs for a couple of years straight. Rightly or wrongly, he took the brunt of the heat as goalers often do - especially when they are playing as bad as or worse than the team around them..

After his outstanding rookie year, he spent the rest of his Sabres career pretty much establishing himself as a first class a-hole who acted like his poop didn't stink. That commercial you posted with him proclaiming himself one of the best goalies in the NHL exemplified his superiority complex - which translated inversely to how he viewed the fans.

I remember one night in particular after he was awarded one of the 3 stars during a game which the Sabres won - but he had let in a few bad goals - for which he was booed. He came out , circled the ice and flung his glove hand into the air in a motion that looked like he was giving the fans the finger. When asked to explain the motion which certainly looked like he was flipping us the bird, he stated that he felt like his glove was falling off and needed to adjust it so that it did not fall off.

I was never happier to see a player leave the Sabres. I don't care if he won 10 cups after he left - the guy was an a-hole. F--k Barrass-hole.
I heard a story back then, but I can't confirm it at the moment, that his Porsche was torched in the airport parking lot while he was away on a road trip. I'll see if I can find out for sure.

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote