View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 10:37 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm having trouble seeing Liut over Luongo. Was Liut's 1981 any better than Luongo's 2007? Both were runner up for the Hart Trophy and Luongo narrowly lost the 1st team and Vezina to the best regular season of Martin Brodeur's career. And didn't Luongo have more additional seasons close to that level than Liut did?

To have Liut over Luongo, it seems to me like you are implicitly saying that goaltending in the 1980s was better than goaltending in the 2000s and I really don't think that was the case.
The main reason why I have Liut ahead of Luongo is that he was single-handedly able to make a below average team an average one, While Luongo's team never really "improved" their status as a result of his goaltending. Both netminders were spotty as far as "important" games are concerned, with a possible SLIGHT, VERY SLIGHT edge to Liut.

However, one thing I haven't thought about : what were the effects of playing in the most terrible division ever on Liut's career?

EDIT : Nevermind -- Liut haven't played enough in the traditionnal "Norris", and the Stars were a pretty good team at that point anyways.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote