Thread: Attendance
View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Robin Hood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
There is no reason why an international event cannot be held in Canada every year. It's not the location of the host that makes it international, it's the competition. But sure, throw it in Europe occasionally in a locale worth travelling to.

I suggest Portugal, Spain or the South of France, nice destinations for hockey fans in the dead of winter.

Actually, I think there is a point of civic pride to show up and make the games worthwhile playing. It was fun cheering for Norway in 206 against the Swiss. You can't seriously think 11000 people show up because they have tix but don't care. Even if that was true, the fact is we are willing to support the games by purchasing tix. (tix which in most cases cost more than pro leagues in Europe.)
A civic pride in in showing up for something you don't care about instead of, say, going to work? Right. You are willing to support it because you care about it. Im sure you'd also support it if it was the WJC of girl's volleyball right? Cheer for Norway against Switzerland? Face it, no-one except Canada cares much for a bunch of kids playing hockey. Honestly, I don't even understand why you care so much about it given that you have zero interest in the men's editions of it. BTW it is not like that draws huge attention in Canada. Consider the same for WJC anywhere else.

However, I'm with you as far as there is no reason to play it outside Canada where it's almost a religion, when other's barely raise their eyebrows about it.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote