View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I can see Tavares potentially becoming the fourth best player in the NHL, in the next year or two. That doesn't seem that great, unless you consider how good the top three (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos) really are. I think JT will end up pretty close to Stamkos but a clear tier below Sid and Geno.
That could happen. I think he can consistently be at the level Spezza was last season or Giroux was last season... which is a bit better than Tavares was. Maybe even a bit better than that. I don't see him being on the Malkin or Crosby or earlier Ovechkin level of play. He could steal a Hart trophy in an off year by the best of the best like Sedin. I think he will consistently improve for several more years but not in a dramtic way. He is getting close to his potential now.... 80-90 point guy that is a dominating presence and a leader.

But I pick Nugent-Hopkins as having more POTENTIAL. Tavares is older and a proven commodity. Nugent-Hopkins COULD be better. He could win Art Ross Trophies. He is incredibly talented. He is also less proven, has had some injuries and is small. He is not a guarantee like Tavares is. I would not trade Tavares for Nugent-Hopkins if I was the Islanders. Tavares is currently the better player and shows no reason that he won't continue to improve. But based on Potential... Nugent-Hopkins has the potential to be the top scorer in the NHL... to peak offensively at a ridiculously high level.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote