View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
It would take a monumental drop in performance for him not to.
I don't think what appears to be a monumental drop in performance would be out of the question if he is expected to play 20+ minutes a night vs stronger competition.

Quote:
If Martin doesn't get back on track in a reasonable number of games whenever the NHL starts up and we hang onto him regardless, we're setting ourselves up for another playoff failure. We might not know 100% whether Engelland can be useful in a top 4 role, but we know for a fact that an '11-'12 Martin will do nothing but hurt the team.
And again, that is my point. Give Martin a chance to get back to form. He has been too good of a player for too long to just give up on him for one bad season without having a proven replacement available. I fully expect Paul Martin to be a substantially better hockey player than Deryk Engelland this upcoming season. Aside from the playoffs (where Engelland was playing like 10 minutes a game), I still don't buy that he wasn't last year.
Quote:
Absolutely. I have no idea why some would be so scared to use him in a bigger role that they would entertain the thought of another playoffs from Martin like his last.
I'm fine with giving him a shot at it. But I don't want to take away the closest thing to a safety net we have before we find out how he handles it. We are already going to be bumping Niskanen up to the top 4. We don't want to completely rebuild the defense with guys who have never proven that they can successfully fill the role we need them to fill.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote