View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Theoretically, that's not a problem whether Martin stays or goes. Martin's replacement would be internal and as the roster is not capped in the post season Bylsma could just bench him and play one of the kids.
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't think what appears to be a monumental drop in performance would be out of the question if he is expected to play 20+ minutes a night vs stronger competition.

And again, that is my point. Give Martin a chance to get back to form. He has been too good of a player for too long to just give up on him for one bad season without having a proven replacement available. I fully expect Paul Martin to be a substantially better hockey player than Deryk Engelland this upcoming season. Aside from the playoffs (where Engelland was playing like 10 minutes a game), I still don't buy that he wasn't last year.

I'm fine with giving him a shot at it. But I don't want to take away the closest thing to a safety net we have before we find out how he handles it. We are already going to be bumping Niskanen up to the top 4. We don't want to completely rebuild the defense with guys who have never proven that they can successfully fill the role we need them to fill.
Come on now.

We have different degrees of faith in Engelland. I'm fine with giving Martin a finite period to show last year was an aberration, but I don't want him around in the playoffs if he hasn't. There's too much at stake to have him leisurely gliding around back there avoiding hits and losing puck battles again when it matters.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote