View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

vCash: 500
For the record, in spite of Letang not being a natural PP quarterback, he was producing on pace to be top 5 in the league in PP production among defensemen. He's not an elite playmaker or a booming shot from the point, but his natural abilities (skating, skill, strength) overcome and get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
not that Gonchar would have necessarily helped, but we also gave up some backbreaking shorties in the playoffs. We were certainly not the 3rd best powerplay in the playoffs no matter what the percentage says. Oh, and we lost Sullivan.

Also, I think the powerplay could be a completely overwhelming strength of this team if we had a good point shot on the blueline. As it stands, we'll probably end up putting Sid or Geno on the point. Granted, bringing in a QB puts one of Kunitz, Neal or Letang on the 2nd unit. I don't know. I would kill for one of Sid or Geno to be right handed.
I do think the skilled RH shot on the left half-boards is more important - it really opened things up for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
1) Top pairing D-man
2) Top line winger
3) Stopgap PP point man

I don't disagree we could survive without #3. But I think Gonchar could be had for cheap for one shortened season in a 3rd pairing role.

Seeing as how top pairing D-men are the most coveted asset in the game short of #1Cs, I think we're better off letting our personnel rebound with some changes in our defensive coverage. Use our assets on finding Sid's longterm winger.
I think Gonchar could end up causing as many problems for us as he'd solve. He'll be 39 years old this playoffs, and he wasn't exactly playing Norris calibre defense when we had him 3 years ago.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote