View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Shootmaster_44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORY View Post
season should start early september. maybe somone can tell me why it doesnt.

when he talks about a euro division, i assume the only time euro teams would play NA teams would be playoffs.
I think it is tradition. Back in the 50s and earlier (maybe even into the 60s) most players had off season jobs. Since a good portion of them were labour jobs, the season had to start once the good weather for outdoor labour jobs were over. So September was usually a wash with the first half of the month being off-season jobs and training camp would kick off about the second last week of September. I guess if it ain't broke why fix it, is the reason why it is still this schedule.

As far as realignment goes, I would prefer to see the teams revert to the Smythe, Adams, Norris and Patrick divisional lineups. Filter in the newer expansion teams and make a couple changes for franchises that have moved and you're set.

Patrick Division
Florida
New Jersey
Islanders
Rangers
Philly
Pittsburgh
Tampa (move from Norris)
Washington

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Carolina (Hartford)
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto (move from Norris)

Norris
Chicago
Dallas (Minnesota)
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado (Quebec, move from Adams)
Edmonton
LA
Phoenix (Winnipeg)
San Jose
Vancouver

I also say revert the playoff system to the old way. Top 4 from each division are in: 1 v 4, 2 v 3, winners play each other, the division winners play each other and the conference winners play each other. Made a heck of a lot more sense than the top 8 from a conference are in with the whole reseeding and no clear bracket. It made the playoffs way more intense because you would play in your division a lot more than out of your division. Bitter rivalries carried over into the playoffs.

Take my Kings playoff run.
1st Round:
Norris: St. Louis vs. Chicago, Nashville vs. Detroit
Smythe: Vancouver vs. LA, Phoenix vs. San Jose
Adams: Boston vs. Carolina, Ottawa vs. Buffalo
Patrick: Rangers vs. New Jersey, Pittsburgh vs. Philly

2nd Round
Norris: St. Louis vs. Nashville
Smythe: LA vs. Phoenix
Adams: Boston vs. Ottawa
Patrick: New Jersey vs. Philly

3rd Round
Campbell: St. Louis vs. LA
Wales: New Jersey vs. Boston

Finals
LA vs. New Jersey

Under this scenario Washington and Florida loses out while Buffalo and Carolina get in. But it would create instantly more intense series. There are more rivalries inside your division than outside and that makes for better playoff hockey. Not saying that all playoffs are lackluster, but there are generally a few stinker first round series. This would fix that problem.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote