View Single Post
12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
From @USHRhockey:

"We have it on good word that 97 born dual citizen (Russia/US) Dannis Yan will likely suit up for the NTDP next season, not the OHL..."

I wonder if their "word" would know if this is posturing to slide to a preferred team. Or how much they trust their source to know this isn't a leak for that purpose. Would be a huge pickup but screams posturing.
I'd be a bit surprised if USHR passed along that info if they suspected it's posturing at all. It seems to me that given the fact Yan showed up at last summer's select festival and made the move to play in the US for this season that there's likely interest in going with the US program in the manner Galchenyuk has. Putting in a few years with the NTDP would reinforce that notion and potentially help his draft stock.

Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
dont really know much about Dannis Yan. what kind of player is he?
He's a pure goal scorer. He's leading one of the top US U18 leagues in goal scoring as a 15 year old right now, which quite simply doesn't happen very often. He could develop into a high end NHL prospect.

Speaking of another interesting eligibility issue, apparently top '97 forward Daniel Sprong is an American citizen. He's spent most of his playing life in Quebec but is not a Canadian citizen. Hockey Canada invited him to the All-State All Canadian camp last summer despite this and there's talk he could be getting Canadian citizenship. I guess it seems he's a long shot to play for the US but you never know just what will happen over the next few years.

These wild citizenship issues are becoming remarkably common place all of a sudden.