Bure
Fedorov
Gartner
Modano
Lafleur
Perreault
Zubov
Messier

Edit: I'll add Denis Savard too. Maybe not the fastest, but man was that guy a magician on his skates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redscotter View Post
I have watched and played hockey since 1968.

The Greatest Skater in NHL history is Bobby Orr. No one else is even close. He was the fastest, the most nimble, had the best agility, and was strong. For most of his career he had bad knees. Everyone from Jean Beliveau to Gordie Howe to Bobby Hull to Guy Lafleur to Darryl Sittler to Lanny Macdonald to Brad Park to Scotty Bowman to Wayne Gretzky ... and so on, has identified Orr as the greatest skater in the history of the game.

Other great skaters were:

Maurice Richard
Jacques Lemaire
Dave Keon
Jean Beliveau
Bobby Hull
Yvan Cournoyer
Guy Lafleur
Gilbert Perreault
Mike Gartner ... and these were all great hockey players.

Other great skaters were Gene Carr, Ron Flockhart, Rick MacLeish, Glen Anderson, and Paul Coffey. Some of these guys were Stars and some were under-achievers, but they were all good skaters.

Reminder: Coffey is not even in Orr's league - in anything.
Both of these lists are missing Pat LaFontaine and Steve Yzerman.
LaFontaine's injuries weren't generally skating related, so he remained pretty slick when he was able to make it out there. Yzerman suffered that big knee injury early on, and then another severe neck injury in his prime. One can only imagine what he would have looked like without those.

Mark Howe even has an argument if we're willing to look at his WHA years and his first NHL year (before the accident) because he was a pretty slick skater even afterwards - and having a spike dug into your thigh will do wonders for your skating.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote