Old
12-31-2012, 04:56 AM
scelaton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
In a previous life, this was my specialty:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-004-.../10501-eng.htm

This states that, in summary, a young person is less likely to re-attend any post-secondary after they have opted not to immediately after high school. This conclusion, incidentally, also applies to those whom have dropped out during the early years of post secondary education.

http://www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/LessonsIn...g-time-off.pdf

Another study which highlights troubles in re-attending. Yes Trouba will make substantially more, but it does not exclude him from what is the norm. The conclusion is that school will not always be there. It will physically, but as we grow older priorities change and attitudes change. I am a high school grad with the fortunate luck of having a great job. I gave the uni an angle and only lasted a year and never went back. I am part of a huge majority here.

My guess, because Trouba stated consult with is family (with my very direct experience, those who do that, last) is that the end game is being considered. You simply write post secondary eduction off like its a book that you haven't read in ages and you can just pick it up and move on. It doesn't work like that. And I can tell you that from a professional stand point. I have consulted with too many kids and families to believe that he is staying for only a year.
Appreciate your opinion, Bunk, but I would guess you have limited experience in dealing with young people of Trouba's talent level.
Your links seem to reference a gap year between high school and Univ, which is somewhat different than what we are talking about. But that is not the main point here, this is...
Stats which are helpful to use in guiding 'normal' kids do not apply to Trouba because he has one in a million hockey talent. That talent must be prioritized, as it is fleeting, especially in a big, hard-hitting body. Your observation that school will not always be an option is true, but that applies even more so to an NHL career. Having a Univ career to fall back on is a wise plan for those who are unlikely to succeed in the NHL (i.e. most college players), but a whole different set of rules applies to upper echelon talent.
If Trouba really wants a professional career, he'll need more than an undergrad degree. so he'll have to go back to school in any case. If he just wants to be educated, he'll probably have to put in a lot more hours than his current Univ schedule allows, unless he is exceptionally smart. University is just like hockey in that way--if you want to be really good at it, you have to put in the practice time. Just ask Garret