View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 05:47 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
I still don't get it, TBH. I'm not saying Koekkoek is not a good pick (who knows at this point) but Grigorenko, Forsberg and Teravainen were still out there when we picked him.
Eh, in the words of Bob McKenzie at the draft, "Slater Koekkoek and Matt Dumba were the shutdown pair for team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka under 18 tournament last August. That was the defense pair that Canada used to shut down Filip Forsberg and Mikhail Grigorenko. Interesting to see that Dumba's been taken, Koekkoek's been taken , but Filip Forsberg...and Mikhail Grigorenko... have yet to go."

To add to that Al Murray put emphasis on his "track record" when he talked about what Slater had shown before his injury. I'm guessing his appearances with Team Canada at the U-17, Ivan Hlinka, and U-18s where he probably went up against these players played a big factor where they saw him as the better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Here's hoping he gets lit up.
I was really looking forward to seeing how he would do against the Canadians. He played great against the Slovaks and the Germans but they aren't as great a test of the Canadians are. Hopefully they don't stick with Makarov and he'll get another crack at them.

Quote:
Maybe Tampa went more for need with that pick? Maybe because Koekkoek is like 2-3 years out of NHL. Well so is TT and maybe Forsberg too. And I don't like the idea of picking for need. Because it may not be need for couple of years down the road when the pick is ready to contribute and you may easily get more value/better player by going BPA and then trading him.

TT and Grigs project as C's.. Vinny and Stammer ain't going nowhere in near future. Well you could always go for a trade (TT or Grigs) but maybe that pushed Koekkoek slightly ahead of them.

Forsberg has talent but is still very raw.. maybe they didn't think it was worth it.

I wouldn't have picked Koekkoek out of those but I've seen the least of him from that group. I hope Tampa management saw the kid as BPA.
Al Murray has said he was the BPA