View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 06:45 AM
jratelle19

vCash: 500
I found this Boston Globe article (12/28) online with the quote from Jon Miller:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...W4I/story.html

Quote:
Miller is candid in acknowledging that a big reason for the void in programming — the NHL lockout (which will have cost NBCSN 33 games by the end of December) — is a source of enormous aggravation.

“It’s been very challenging and very frustrating,’’ Miller said. “We never had any indication that this situation with the NHL was going to last until January. It was always our understanding that this was going to be a tweak and a fix.”

The CBS strategy

While NBC Sports Network is to some degree at the mercy of the NHL, its chief current counterpart as a relative cable-sports newcomer recognizes a chance to make a move in the coming months.

CBS holds the rights to Super Bowl XLVII Feb. 3, and in March will be the familiar home of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. Adding a prolonged post-Super Bowl program on CBS Sports Network is only one way it will attempt to maximize its relationship with CBS.
Interesting article on the obstacles some of the newer cable sports network are encountering in trying to chip away at ESPN's audience. Regarding the NHL, the comment on NBCSN being at the mercy of the NHL I also find interesting along with the quote from Miller. Brings up the question of if the NHL is putting the business relationship with a national network at risk and, if so, to what degree?

Last edited by jratelle19: 12-31-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: to add comment
jratelle19 is offline   Reply With Quote