View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 12:06 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Off ice stuff is important too, in the locker room get involved in conversations with the other guys and have a bit of banter, don't be the quiet guy who just sits there or only talk to your friend. Be committed to the team, always show up on time for practice and games.

I was in the same situation a few years ago, I finished junior hockey and went to be a backup goalie for a mens team where I didn't know anyone. I did all the little off ice things and supported the team on the bench and got the respect of all the guys. They know I'm not the best goalie and 3 seasons later I'm still the backup and only play a few games but they consider me a great team guy and that's what you want from a backup goalie.
Good points. When new guys join my team I usually know if I am really going to like them or not if they speak up in the locker room. I am not a huge fan of having real reserved guys on my team, b/c it seems like they are having a bad time and it kind of brings the room down. Now I would never be dick to them b/c they are quiet but after a while I also won't go out of my way to include you on non team related things.

That being said no one really expects you to be the center of attention on day 1. We all know how uncomfortable those first couple of games can be and would give you some time to warm up.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote