View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 12:39 PM
showtime8

vCash: 500
It seems like half the 2nd round in the 2011 draft is playing on Team Canada's world junior team. (Rattie, Jenner, Ritchie, Ouellet, Harrington & Wotherspoon)

Anyways, the 2011 draft was pretty much scripted in my mind. The Leafs had no physical forwards in their system and after Burke watched the Bruins completely dismantle the Leafs for every divisional game, he decided to do something about it. But this is where Leaf fans are going to need to be extra patient. Much like other players that have the big frames, they take that extra time to get use to how they can fully utilize it. Think about players like Zdeno Chara and even Mats Sundin. Chara wasn't the prescence he is now when he was in Ottawa. His skating was atrocious and really wasn't coordinated, but had the huge reach and a monster shot. And with Sundin, you really got to see him use his frame to his advantage when he was on a line with Antropov and Ponikarovsky. The way they could all use their frames to shield the puck and maintain possession was incredible. But you didn't see that from a young Sundin. So what I'm getting at with Biggs is he's going to be able to play in the NHL because of his size. As soon as his skating improves, as well as his stamina, Leaf fans are going to be able to see him finish checks and really start to see a force infront of the net.

As for Percy, I see him having the same progress as former Calgary Hitmen captain Karl Alzner. Throughout junior they had very similar numbers, so they aren't going to dazzle you with the stat sheet. They've both got amazing leadership qualities and they both see the game very well on the ice. Percy will spend 2 full years in the AHL, much like the aforementioned Alzner and then step into a solid role on the team. Alzner had a solid 2011 playoff and got no credit for it.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote