View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Anthony Stewart was 19. So was Nigel Dawes. Absolutely horrible comparisons in my opinion. Their are countless players who have represented Canada and gone on to do nothing special in pro hockey. That is not the case with 17 year olds on Canada. We are talking about 17 year olds. The last 17 y.o's on Team Canada have been..

Jay Bouwmeester
Jason Spezza
Sidney Crosby
Jonathon Toews
Sam Gagner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Ryan Ellis
Evander Kane

Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, RNH all didnt make the team as a 17 year old. What Drouin is doing at 17 is very impressive.
Okay, to use a more recent example:

17 year old Jordan Schroeder, on the 2008 USA WJC team. Finished second on the team in scoring, had everyone at HF buzzing about his potential to be the next star American forward, drawing comparisons to performances by other highly touted young USA players-- Phil Kessel and Patrick Kane, notably. Even when his draft year--2009--rolled around, he was expected by most to go top 10, and there was a measure of shock when he fell to 22.

Where is he now? An average player in the AHL that may eventually see some NHL time, but not likely as an impact player.

I'm just saying...a single short tournament isn't enough to shoot someone up to number 1. It's the only opportunity for fans to play "scout," so we sometimes get carried away.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote