View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I imagine the plan is to send Mark to Gary Roberts camp this summer similar to what they did with Lowry last year. I imagine he didnt go last year because the Jets probably didn't think he was phsically ready at that point and secondly they didn't want to put him through that intense a program after the long year he had the previous year. All in all im not that concerened, as has been mentioned he probably wont be playing as much of a trench/grinding role in the NHL as well I have no doubt that Mark will continue to improve his balance and strength over the next few years given his work ethic and character.
Agree - would love to see him in a good camp like the Roberts camp, concentrating on the areas that need improvement. I've seen (as you all have) some great improvement in his skating in OHL games this year - his top speed is fine now, even for the NHL. He's no Wheeler, but he's definitely got the wheels to keep up.

His main failings now are: strength on his skates / balance, and first step. Some powerskating drills and concentration on areas that improve his explosiveness will help those areas. When I was a young whipper-snapper, I spent two summers taking my skating from fast with sluggish acceleration, to fast with quick acceleration. I'm sure Scheifele's more athletic than I ever was, so if I can do it, there's no reason he can't. He's got the drive and determination to fix this problem.

And, unlike me, he doesn't have hands of stone, and isn't built like a running-back, so he's got those things going for him. PS: also agree with Huffer that he's doing exactly what's been asked of him in this tourney, which are things that are a bit foreign to his game. He's sticking with it like a trooper.