View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 05:13 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Assuming the league doesn't blow up over the next two weeks, I don't know how bad it'll be among the fans. It might be worse among sponsors and network execs, which'll have a trickle-down effect on the popularity of the game.

I do think some fans will protest for a while but ultimately losing less than half a season isn't really worth walking away for good, even if it is the 'third' prolonged work stoppage, it wouldn't be nuclear at least. The rumored free Center Ice the rest of the season would be a good start to at least throwing out an olive branch toward the fans watching and a way to reach the casual fan who normally doesn't.

Now if they do blow it up next two weeks, all bets are off.
Sponsors and tv care more about the playoff vs regular season than the fans do. NBC isn't happy they lost the content, but that is in the past. They still get the marquee part, which is what they are actually paying for. Sponsors won't like losing out on the ASG and Winter Classic, but outside of those again they pay for playoffs.

Now if the season does blow up, then I agree all bets are off.

As for the fans if you asked the season tickets holders to give a truthful answer they would gladly have the league cut the October and November games, so really we are missing a month and month in a half in terms of upset damage. There is a lot of excess fat on the NHL schedule and this is just trimming most of it (though I do concede it has gone long enough where it has taken some meat of the steak as well).

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote