View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
I think the narrative being spun about ES and PP goes against all the amounts of evidence out there. Great players don't thrive on bad PPs and bad (or mediocre) players don't put up great results at ES.

Whether you like it or not, players spend more than 60% of their time out at ES and that's what's going to decide their future in the NHL. Otherwise Marc-Andre Bergeron would be a superstar. It's also been proven that statistically, production at ES translates better to the NHL than PP production (at all levels, junior and AHL).

Furthermore, we have ample evidence that if a PP setup is horrible even the best players won't rescue it. See Malkin 2 or 3 years ago when the Pens PP sucked and his points went down massively. Patrick Kane is another such player that has suffered on a poor PP despite all the talent on that team — he had 12 PP points all of last season (good for 129th in the league) but 54 ESP (good for 14th in the league).

To bring our own big league team into this, the Sedins didn't suddenly become bad PP players last season. No, teams figured out our PP and our entry and we couldn't do anything to negate it. I would hardly blame the Sedins for suddenly forgetting how to play hockey or make difference in games. I won't even mention how the 2nd unit did during that whole time.

In fact, there's a reason that you'll see team's PP percentages swing widely with coaching changes and it's one of the areas that's the most dependant on the quality of your coaching. I believe there's even an article out there that talks about how little bringing in better players does to the quality of your PP unless there are actual changes to the system.

And finally, the 2nd PP unit probably gets an average of 30-40 seconds per penalty. That's not even enough time to set up in most cases. The 2nd unit is also composed of such high scoring players as Anton Rodin, Andrew Gordon, Bill Sweatt, and others. Sweatt and Rodin combined have less points than Schroeder.

To come back to Schroeder specifically and the ES discussion, it's more than ridiculous to claim he's not driving the play or not controlling the play. We're talking about a player that's tied for the lead in goals and points on this team while playing with Rodin, Sweatt, Gordon, and other players who still haven't gotten more than 10 points on the year. He has, I believe, 3 or 4 games this year playing with Sterling and/or Kassian, the other top scorers. He has 0 games with Ebbett and like 4 games with Haydar (but Haydar has been an abomination at ES). Who IS driving the play on that line if he isn't?

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-31-2012 at 06:40 PM.