View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 3900

Habs Make Blockbuster Trade At Deadline

Meet Gustav Nyquist, the newest member of the Montreal Canadiens.

As much as TSN hyped up the 2013 NHL trade deadline, it was pretty quiet. The only blockbuster trade involved two original-six teams: Detroit, and obviously, Montreal. The Red Wings are, as usual, on pace to make the playoffs. However, like last year, the Canadiens are struggling, with a record below .500.

Habs GM Deku Scrub announced at 1:30pm on Wednesday that he had sent veteran blueliner Andrei Markov, AHL forward Blake Geoffrion, and a 2nd round pick acquired from Calgary to Motor City in exchange for 23 year old left winger Gustav Nyquist and 19 year old right winger Martin Frk.

"I feel our offense is severely lacking right now," said Scrub. "Nyquist is a fantastic prospect though. With guys like Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Bozon, and Frk developing, we're set for the future on forwards. Not to mention Pacioretty and Eller. It's tough to let a guy like Andrei go, but it's time for us to move on, and we wish him the best of luck in Detroit."
Andrei Markov spoke with the media shortly after. "I want to thank everyone in the Canadiens organization... for giving me a chance to succeed, and meet my full potential," Markov said. "It was great to be here for so long - it's a great city here in Montreal... but I thank Mr. Scrub for sending me to another great city in Detroit, and a great team, too."

Gustav Nyquist will finish the season in the NHL with the Canadiens, as opposed to playing in the AHL, where this season he has put up 51 points in 55 games for the Grand Rapids Griffins. Martin Frk will stay in Halifax of the QMJHL for the rest of the season, and is expected to make the jump to the AHL next season.

Last edited by Deku Scrub: 12-31-2012 at 11:15 PM.