View Single Post
Old
12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Similarly, Eriksson is hardly a one-trick pony in that regard. His coach may choose to employ a different line-matching strategy, something over which Eriksson has little control, but he does exceptionally well at defending the less talented players that he does match up against. It's also worth noting that Marleau plays with two other respectable two-way forwards in Havlat and Clowe, whereas Eriksson often had to cover for the defensive oversights of his line-mates, Ribeiro and Morrow..
I wouldn't call Morrow or Ribeiro poor defensively either. In Morrow's case, he faced top competition the season before last.
I'll give you Havlat (though Marleau's been facing top competition for years with the likes of Bernier, Setoguchi, etc), but Clowe is beyond horrible defensively. Really, Clowe is terrible defensively.

And yeah, I realize match-ups are up to the coaches (Marleau played on the shut-down line with Wilson, now Todd McLellan just does power vs power). Eriksson isn't bad defensively, I'm just saying Marleau goes up against top competition night-in and night-out and still puts up similar offensive numbers to Eriksson. Therefore, I'd give the edge to Marleau. Eriksson could very well be great defensively against top lines as well, but we won't know until he does it.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote