View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAK141 View Post
Smyth would make a great captain. On the otherhand, I would trade Belanger away as fast as i could; just doesn't bring enough. Tambs traded away Brodziak because they wanted 'a more in your face' player , one who could help Horcoff shoulder the load on faceoffs - What did they get, even less grit, and even less scoring
Smyth would be about the worst possible choice I could think of as captain - other than Horcoff.

What would he say? Obviously...uhhhhhh...boys...uhhh...obviously... one game at a time...uhhhh...110%...obviously..."

Despite having been the poster boy for effort and giving it your all in the past, Smyth's best days are behind him. And Smyth's best days are nowhere near what we will see from Hall, Eberle and RNH. In fact Eberle has already bested Smyth's best season ever, and I only see more of the same in the future for all 3.

We need to hand the reins over to the kids. Lots of people like to say that they are too young or whatever, but that's a crock IMO.

The Red Wings handed the C to Yzerman when he was 21 and he proceeded to lead the Wings out of the cellar and help turn them into the most dominant team since the 80s Oilers. The Lightning made Lecavalier captain at 19. They won the Cup 4 years later. The Pens made Crosby captain at 19, he led them to the finals his first year as captain, and then won it all his second year. The Hawks made Toews captain when he was 20. He led the Blackhawks to the playoffs for the first time since 01-02, Hawks won their first playoff series in a dozen years, losing in the semis to the Wings, and then following that up the next year by winning it all.

The Avs have just made Landeskog their captain - the youngest in history. Might prove to be a mistake, but personally, I like the move, and I really hope that we follow suit be slapping the C on Hall's chest.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote