View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I don't see Engelland being a top 4 defenseman. I don't see the point in moving Orpik, we can keep him as he is a leader and can still be a productive defenseman.

If there is a season.

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait-Engelland
Bortuzzo

2013-14

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Dumoulin-Engelland
Bortuzzo
Bortuzzo isn't going to be a 7th Dman for 2 years. He's better than that, and it's not good for asset management.

Niskanen has specifically said that he prefers the left side, which is why he was a nice complement with Engelland. Nisky may ultimately get moved, but as long as he's here, he'll probably stay on that side, so I'm not sure how good he'd work with Orpik.

And finally: just like with Florida and Bouwmeester, or perhaps Calgary and Iginla (we'll see), I don't think it's great asset management to just let Brooks walk as a UFA -- and we may not have the cap space to retain him. Now, if he is truly outplaying Despres & Dumoulin, then I don't mind keeping him for a cup run. But Orpik was prett incosistent last year, has been pretty injury-prone for a few years, and is only getting older. If Despres, Dumoulin AND Bortuzzo (all guys who are 6'4) are playing great, and Engo is keeping it up, I will have no problem losing Brooks' size & physicality off our roster, especially considering he could probably bring us a really nice package in return.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote