View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Cleveland is rebounding quite nicely thank you very march. There is over a billion dollars of development in the downtown core (within a 15 minute walk of the arena). I don't think its ready yet but 5-7 years down the line its possible as a destination for a relocated team
And 21 counties within an hour drive, so even as the 5,000,000 population of Northeast Ohio spreads out, the logistics make travel to Cleveland a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
No we don't need to go back to Atlanta. Its failed twice. This pursuit of a big TV contract isn't realistic. We tried and it doesn't happen. Just because there are a lot of people in Atlanta doesn't mean there are fans who will pay NHL prices for hockey. By that logic we should put a team in Mexico City. Its the biggest city in North America.

As for San Antonio, how does their minor league team draw?

Move the Yotes to QC. Expand to Seattle and Southern Ontario (either GTA or Hamilton) and then let the next distressed team move into the other GTA slot.
Disagree on Atlanta.

San Antonio would be a lot better off if the old IHL Dragons weren't an absolute clown show. They fought with the CHL Iguanas over the arena lease, won, and folded anyway. The ownership was so touch-and-go that (so I've heard) players would race to the bank with their paycheck since the team payroll account might be empty by the time the later guys arrived.

I think that that whole thing stunted the Iguanas (who came back a year later), and then the Rampage. It didn't cause irreparable damage, in my opinion, but it caused a short-term stagnation.