View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
It has to mean something. Ryan Murphy has played on the top unit for most of the tourney, has almost as many shots as Rielly and has nothing to show for it. Besides, when you are a ppqb, secondary assist are good things. It just means everything on the pp runs through you. I don't know why these dont get as much credit. It seems deking through the whole team and putting a perfect placed pass onto your teammate so he just needs to tap it in is the only way an assis will get any credit.

Rielly hasn't been elite, butother than RNH, Harrington, Ouellet and sometimes Schiefele, no one on the team has been elite. Yakupov hasn't been elite at all in this tournament, so singling out the youngest defenceman with the lowest ice time and best "stats" expecting him to be elite is a tad bit unreasonable. I've expected more from him too, but there's no need to downplay what he's done, because it has been moderately impressive.
I think the quality of points do matter over a few games. Over the course of the season it would balance out, but it may not over a short series where you rack them up against Germany and Slovakia. Not to discredit them any further, but as I said, the best measure for how he is doing (i.e. Dmen) is not looking at the boxscore, but watching the game as their key plays/screwups usually don't show on the boxscore. I never claimed he has been bad nor great. I was merely reacting to the fan that clumped him in with Harrington and Ouellet as the three top Dmen. And you're right, there have been a lot of top players who haven't lived up to their billing so far.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote