View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
htpwn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The poster I quoted mentioned backlash against "Bettman awarding City X a team". In the years since 1997, I've seen it repeatedly said that the following cities should have been awarded expansion teams:
- Winnipeg
- Quebec
- Hamilton
- Halifax
- Saskatoon
- Various points in southern Ontario

I merely mentioned that only one Canadian city even submitted a bid, and that was Hamilton.
Ok, I understand your point... to some extent.

I can agree that many arguing for retroactive expansion into Canada often do not consider that only one Canadian city bid in 1997 (and a poor one at that) and none in 1999. They also don't consider that Winnipeg and Quebec were in no position at the time to attempt to mount a serious bid.

Having said that, very few bring up the likes of Saskatoon and Halifax. It comes up occasionally and usually very little support because it is so impractical to have an NHL in cities of 200,000-400,000.

Hamilton, however, is a little bit of a different case. They did submit two bids in the 1990's expansion, the latter of which was rather poor, as you brought up. The 1991 bid was one of the better bids there, but the NHL effectively scuttled it by placing unreasonable demands on the potential ownership and then demonstrating a massive double standard with one of the winning bids, Tampa.