View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
To be fair, the double standard was used with Ottawa as well. They were awarded a team on the basis of possibly having an arena down the road, which wasn't assured even after a full season on the ice. In Roy MacGregor's book "Road Games", he references this repeatedly. Most painful by proxy is to read that Quebec was prepared to offer Joe Sakic, Owen Nolan, and their top prospect (Peter Forsberg) for the #1 overall pick in 1993, which was declined since the entire Palladium project might be aborted if there wasn't a marketable star like Alexandre Daigle. There's also a reference to the scouts preferring Chris Pronger to Daigle, but Daigle being the pick on the same basis.

I can think of two reasons why the 1990 Hamilton bid didn't take:
1) The NHL saw the lack of premium seating in Copps Coliseum and, in a rare stroke of foresight, realized that there would have to be substantial upgrades and renovations in the near future to keep the team financially competitive. However, given that the NHL in 1990 was still very much being run by a group of short-sighted pinheads, this seems highly unlikely.

2) The NHL was threatened by Buffalo and Toronto over cutting into the immediate area with another team and, rather than press the issue, backed down in the threat of (at minimum) massive PR backlash or (at worst) significant legal action. Given John Ziegler's notorious spinelessness, this seems substantially more likely.

For what it's worth, I don't have any personal objection to another team in southern Ontario. I do have questions that have yet to be answered, and I am strongly opposed to the idea of relocating anyone into that territory at the expense of expansion.
Hell, the Leafs and the Habs weren't thrilled with putting a team in Ottawa ffs.