View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
So if Ben had a career ending injury in a meaningless game, you'd still stick by "well you always go out to win?"

In a meaningless game, I'd sit the guys I need to be successful next season, and take it as opportunity to look at guys I need to get a better look at to prepare my roster for 2013-14. Same premise that playoff teams sit their best guys when they have a division locked up. No reason to risk an injury for something that really means nothing.
he could have a career ending injury every time he steps on the field. I think maintaining the respect of the players is more important than avoiding that risk. If Tomlin asked every player on the Steelers roster if they would rather play to win or play for next season, I would wager every single one of them would say play to win. I don't care if you are asking guys like Roethlesberger and Polamolu or guys like Sylvester and Worilds. The Steelers are an origination that prides itself on winning football games. That pride comes through in the way everything is done in that organization. This works its way through the organization, to the coaches and to the players to make sure that everyone in that organization has a winning attitude. I don't want to see that change because someone might get hurt or we might end up with a worse draft position.

Pro athletes are prideful creatures. I really don't think there is such a thing as a meaningless game to those guys.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 01-01-2013 at 10:15 PM.