View Single Post
Old
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
What we need is irrelevant when drafting that late, to a degree, as most players in that range aren't expected to make an impact for a few years down the line - if at all. Drafting in the top 15, then I'd be more inclined to go with current team need. If the Leafs thought Biggs/Percy were that much better than what's on the board - then that's all that matters at the time (have to trust the scouts or else there's little need for us fans to focus on the draft from a Leafs POV).
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something annoying about Dave Morrison and the way the Leafs run the draft that's been bugging me since at least 2007. There's this tendency for them to burn a ton of picks on these medium to low skilled CHL guys who have 3rd/4th line-ish, 2nd pairing potential guys while largely ignoring the European department and those smallish, highly skilled forwards that can really bolster an organization. I wish we could have less Percy, Ryan, Mitchell, Ross, Devane, Broll, Leivo, McKegg type low pay off picks picks and focus more on those Tatar, Nyquist, Silfverberg gems that fall through the cracks. We never seem to hit on those types of high reward type players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I'm not saying they intentionally stockpiled those positions, but it just seemed to shake out that way so use it to your advantage. If they have a chance to land a defenseman who projects as a top-four vs. a forward who projects as a 3rd liner or bottom-six I'm not taking the forward just because the current team need is one. I'd like to think/hope the Leafs would correct the forward situation sooner rather than have to wait 3-4 years for that drafted 18 year old to fix the situation.
I think the Leafs draft unimaginatively for the most part. Especially outside of the first round, they just kind of go and pick guys who get filed away under the 'roll player' folder. They have a guy like Thommie Bergmann who has dug up guys like Modin, Kaberle, Berezin, Gunnarsson, Rask, Gunnarsson, Kulemin in the past. It would be nice to see them use that voice more than whomever's targeting these no payoff CHL guys.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote