View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, actually, I've spent most of the thread without referring to stats at all - just observation. It only made sense to refer to offensive numbers at that point because of the introduction of the idea of "offensive acumen". People farthest away geographically also have an easier time avoiding the Kool-aid in the water supply, btw. But backing up, how little skill do you think I'm giving him credit for? Does my not considering him the best choice for 1st overall somehow equate to under-rating him?

Also, Jones played a 50+ game schedule with the US Development squad and 20 more games in USHL matches last year. How different is that, really, from 60 games in the OHL? Jones probably ended up with more experience against older and stronger players in the process given games against NCAA opponents, and how do we then weigh/compare how their environments may or may not have contributed to the strengths in their game today - if one is supposed to be deemed advantageous over the other?

But rest assured, if he has made as significant an improvement as you suggest, I won't turn a blind eye to it.
Konk brings up a good point and there is something else to consider as well, their roles on the team.

Portland is a powerhouse with 2 older Dmen who were drafted already getting quality PP time and Seth's role is more on the defensive side as opposing teams try to keep their best players away from him when they can.

Pietro was a great prospect in his draft year but Jones is better at the same stages of their careers IMO.