Thread: Post-Game Talk: WJC U20 Championship Game
View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 01:15 AM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Personally, I think our bottom six is suspect. Boyle's been great and hopefully he'll be able to handle third line C as effectively as it seems he should, but being 'good enough' to do something and doing it are two different things and I need to see Boyle step up and own that position. Then there's Taylor Pyatt, who I'm just not sold on being a strong third line option at this point for us. I hope Torts can squeeze it out of him, but now we've got 2/3 of our third line with question marks. Kreider or Hagelin will be the third member of that line and if it's Kreider, there's no GUARANTEE yet that he'll be able to step up and play like he did in the playoffs all season. That could make the entire third line questionable. Then there's Asham, whose a good enough fourth line every game guy, but Rupp on the other wing, is a similar story and I'm not sure two of them is what you want on your fourth line. Halpern in the middle is iffy for me as well. He's old and while he'll probably do just fine, he doesn't scream dominant fourth line center to me the way Boyle did. Now Boyle's got to step up and be the third line C, our center depth is a good deal weaker (especially since both Dubi and Arty could play C) and there's a good deal of ??? in the bottom six. I would like to acquire at least one, legitimate third line player. Drop Pyatt to the fourth line and use Rupp/Asham/Halpern in the other two slots as Torts sees fit on a game-to-game basis, and according to injuries. Would make me feel a lot more comfortable. We're a top heavy team offensively, and even our top six is only really five sure things. Hagelin/Kreider can both take a step back from last season's impressive performances (it could happen is all I'm saying). Defensively, I'm also wondering who is our #6 after Stralman at #5 (who also played well for us last year but is hardly a sure thing; look at his career). I'm not nearly as confident in Eminger this year and Bickel simply isn't good enough to be the regular #6. Overall, I think we are a contender this year, but I definitely wouldn't say we're going to be dominant at all. Just my genuine concerns.

But this really isn't the right thread for it. Would be nice to see Miller ready to make the jump to that third line and I can't wait to see McIlrath on that third pairing.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote