View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 02:39 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
I feel maybe Gilroy is a mold of what Stralman was. Stralzy didn't play that much at first & started to get chances. He ended up having a great post season & is now a regular. Maybe if Gilroy can push to be more of a Ranger, he'd be that seventh defender, but who knows. I do think, however, Eminger will be that seventh guy. He's definitely a guy who gets called up for an injury, though.
The Rangers got effective defense out of Stralman. They also got him to step up his physical play. This is the road that Gilroy would have to take to get a permanent spot and so far throughout his professional career he's been reluctant to do that. I really don't see Gilroy changing his game much and don't think he's much more than an insurance policy in case someone really gets banged up. Much more comfortable with Eminger if he gets his game back to where it was before his injury plagued season last year. I also think Bickel is a much better option.

The idea as one poster would have it that Gilroy is some kind of AHL version of Erik Karlsson is way off kilter. IMO Karlsson may be the most valuable defenseman in the entire world at this point considering his age and practically his point per game skill set. Karlsson is in a young Brian Leetch territory. Gilroy got off to a hot start offensively but has cooled off and is now currently on a 40 pt. pace for the AHL. Pairing him with an effective stay at home player in the NHL would not likely produce 40 points per in a much better league. So what is the point of trying to make him a spot? Has he ever been an effective offensive force in the NHL?