View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 02:40 AM
MarkusNaslund19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post

In the spirit of the previous post, I'll just go along with it for someone else to answer...Jere Lehtinen.
Glad someone had an answer (didn't see it until now).

Jere Lehtinen: the Frank J. Selke belonged to him and Mike Peca for a few years there in the mid-to-late 90's. He was a player who was expected to be more of an offensive player when he came over from Finland, but the role he found (playing with Modano and Verbeek, then Modano and Hull) required him to generally be the third man high and play the role of the defensive conscience on his lines. It should be added that joined Dallas when Ken Hitchcock was their coach, and good ol' Hitch always preached defense first.

Lehtinen had underrated speed, a decent shot, and was a good one-touch passer. That said, I always thought he was a little bit overrated. Not that he wasn't a legitimate top 6er, or a good player, but that he was fortunate that he played for a Dallas team that was really good and high profile at the time. If he had been on the Islanders instead, I think he would have created a Travis Green-sized blip (he was much better than Green, but I don't think he would be as well remembered as he is).

Interesting side note, Niklas Sundstrom's second year (where he scored 52 points playing with Gretzky) had a lot of people thinking he would be another Lehtinen. That failed to materialize.

What about Ivan Novoseltsev? I always wanted him to be something, but it didn't work out.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote