View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
At this point I wouldn't even consider this an if, I'd say its a gurantee. The way Barrie has been playing all year, and the way Elliott has really started to improve over the last couple of weeks, one if not both should make opening roster IMO.

If we see just Barrie make the opening roster, then I think we'll see Obyrne(Sadly) get shipped out along with maybe a 3rd for another 1st? We don't need any forward help for now at least, and another 1st in a draft looking this deep would be excellent.

Im most excited too see what the teams like Boston, Minnesota, Vancouver all do if the Cap for next year is indeed lowered to say 60M. They would have to shed a lot of salary, and could potentially lose some very good players to free agency or trade. Snagging an Edler or Horton or even a Timmonen would do wonders for this team. And we should have the cap space to pitch decent offers too a good player in the offseason. At a 60M Cap, and assuming we sign Oreilly to say 4M and let Kobasew walk, we would have approx. 53M spent, so roughly 7M left over. A lot of fun could be had with that 7M.
I disagree. I doubt very much that the Avs make changes to their D before the season starts unless it's a slam dunk of a deal. Secondly, Barrie and Elliott have done well in the AHL but as has been stated many times, both those guys need to shore up their defensive games and there is nothing wrong with allowing two 21 year olds time in the minors to do just that.

No one is giving up a 1st round pick for O'Byrne and a 3rd. That's guaranteed.

Your analysis in the 3rd paragraph is correct and why it's such a good thing that we have quite a few decent players signed to reasonable deals. Guys like Wilson, O'Brien, O'Byrne & Hunwick could possibly be swapped for a more expensive upgrade, with teams trying to get under the cap. I see those deals happening over the summer but it's also possible teams might get a head start on that at the trade deadline (if any?).