Old
01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Would there be that many fans to jump ship in the toronto area? I see the maple leafs fans as a pretty loyal lot.. I still think another hockey market in canada would be better than the southwest/sun belt area. Quebec city as you said is a no-brainer. I'd just hope the bruins would play them right after they play the habs so bruins fans can do a trip from montreal-quebec city or vice versa.
Yes. 25% of Canada's population, or almost 10 million people live within 160 KM (less than 100 miles) from Toronto. Not all are Leaf fans and I'm sure they'd have no problem filling the arena. New York has that same number of people (?) and the Islanders, (when they actually had a team ) had no problem drawing fans. So I'm sure in hockey mad Toronto, they could as well.

But more importantly, the corporate support is there and television is there. TSN is expected to go heavily after CBC for the Canadian rights. Sportsnet, with all its regional channels, will go after the regional rights. Absolutely no problems there that I can see