View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Easily. I remember first breaking the news three years ago about a new arena in Toronto and when it finally became public they said there was no interest in a 2nd team. However, think about this: The Leafs have 18,000 people on a wait list for season tickets. Over and above the price of the tickets is a $20,000 licensing fee that you pay once.

Now, I'm not going to even try and guess at how many would jump ship. But I know a lot of people in Southwestern Ontario that make the trip to Buffalo for NHL hockey simple because they cant get tickets for the Leafs.

And to me Quebec is much like Toronto, no brainers. Not to mention the deal with CBC expires after next season (I believe) and there is sure to be a huge bidding war between CBC and TSN (with CTV involved as both are owned by Bell). Not to mention the local deals with Toronto between Sportsnet and TSN. This is why Bell (TSN) and Rogers (Sportsnet) bought the Leafs. There's going to be big money thrown around and with more Canadian teams - even better.

As for Vegas, I don't know enough about the situation there to make an informed comment. Seattle makes a lot of sense because there's could be an instant rivalry with Vancouver. And Like Ontario fans do to Buffalo, British Columbia fans who can't get Canuck tickets will do the same for Seattle.
I completely agree with Seattle. Your reasoning is very very sound, it's prime for an NHL infusion. Quebec as well, there's simply been too much publicity to deny the city a franchise. That and the addition of a team in Quebec makes the NHL more accessible to the Maritimes and Northern Quebec. That last team though...

I guess the question is how does the NHL value new vs. existing fans. A fan who jumps ship from one team to another is a fan already investing money in the game. You'll get new revenue in terms of that teams gate receipts and a potential increase in broadcasting revenues in Canada but you lose out on the opportunity to grow the sport and add completely new fans and potentially gain with the far more lucrative American broadcasting rights. If you add Quebec, that would make two new Canadian franchises since the negotiation of the last deal which might already be enough to set off just such a bidding war.

Then there's a question of funding. I believe a proposal was put forth in Las Vegas that would see any new arena funded by an imposed tax hike on local business within 3 miles of the new location. Tax payer liability is minimal in such an endeavor. Markham's arena proposal is losing some support for just that reason I believe?

The NHL has held on to Phoenix so stubbornly I'd be surprised to see them give up what little ground they've gained now. Support for the NHL team is suffering but support for the actual sport is growing astronomically. I think moving the team will become the only option soon enough (if it isn't already) because of the ownership fiasco's they've suffered, but would be surprised if they moved them right out of the southern states.