View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Xref

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Were there even Russians in the NHL in 1980? I don't believe there were; and if there were, they had to defect to get here. Now, most of Russia's elite players are in the NHL, as are all of the best Swedes, Czechs, Slovaks, Swiss, Finns, and I dare say the Germans and Belarusians, as well. That's eight, plus the United States and Canada, meaning the top ten hockey countries in the world have their best players tied up in the NHL.

I just don't understand why you want to throw away the best and most intense hockey competition in the world for the off chance at a feelgood story. The Olympics should be a competition for the world's finest athletes in its given sports, not the world's finest athletes under a certain age our outside of a specific group. Who cares if those athletes are professional?
I'd rather watch the best amateur hockey players in the world compete against each other, and gain that invaluable experience. I believe in growing the sport, and I believe having college kids playing in the Olympics goes a long way towards that goal. The success of the 1980 team had a profound impact on hockey development and awareness in the US. I'll ask: why take that away?

Besides, if all these countries have their best players in the NHL as you say, then I can watch them play in the NHL. Why do I need to watch them play in the Olympics too?