View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
jekoh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
What do the IOC rules say about scholarshipped athletes?
'Nothing' would be my guess, meaning they allow them, but how is that of any relevance when they allow professionals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I just don't understand why you want to throw away the best and most intense hockey competition in the world for the off chance at a feelgood story. The Olympics should be a competition for the world's finest athletes in its given sports, not the world's finest athletes under a certain age our outside of a specific group. Who cares if those athletes are professional?
Things should never be any different from what they were when I was a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
I'd rather watch the best amateur hockey players in the world compete against each other, and gain that invaluable experience. I believe in growing the sport, and I believe having college kids playing in the Olympics goes a long way towards that goal. The success of the 1980 team had a profound impact on hockey development and awareness in the US. I'll ask: why take that away?
It had a profound impact because they beat the best professional team in the world, not because they were college players. I mean college players beating other college players would hardly have been noteworthy.

Last edited by jekoh: 01-02-2013 at 12:17 PM.