View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD1982 View Post
Andy must really believe he can revive Kolb.

Interesting choice because I thought he was a lock to go to San Diego.
Sounds like the Chargers are going to hire a GM first before a head coach. They brought in former Packers GM Ron Wolf as a consultant for the GM search which might take a few weeks. If Reid starts getting job offers in a couple days, then the time frame might not work out for the Chargers.

While I'm happy that Norv was let go, I feel like he was given a bit of a raw deal this year. After Marcus McNeill and Kris Dielman went down midway through 2011, the team went into a tailspin. They brought in Jared Gaither off the scrap heap and to his credit played very well to finish the season. A.J. Smith gave Gaither a decent contract to stick around, but that was a dicey proposition from the start.

As much as people want to blame the Chargers struggles on letting go of Vincent Jackson, the substandard offensive line was the real culprit. Rivers had one of his best seasons in 2010 when Jackson held out and only played in 4.5 games. Robert Meachem was a bust but Danario Alexander put up great numbers out of nowhere.

Norv is still a decent playcaller and will get a chance elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have post-head coaching success like Wade Phillips in Houston.