View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
If Noori's comments are accurate, and I don't think some of them are, you have to begin to question the Flames player development. Too many players have regressed and fallen off the radar as soon as they turn pro and spend time in the Flames system. I think too much of a onus is placed on winning minor league games rather than trying to develop players. I think we are seeing the results of that strategy in the young players plateauing or regressing.
I don't think so. I think it's more of a case of guys like Nemisz and Howse never actually 'having it' in the first place. Guys like Baertschi, Horak, and Brodie are coming through and that's a positive sign.

Winning is absolutely an important part of developing prospects. You can't put guys in to positions that they simply aren't ready for. That said, there is a fine line between developing players through a winning system, and simply icing too many vets:

> I dislike seeing Reinhart on the fourth line. He has the potential to be a scoring center and needs to be developed as such.
> Wahl has been performing extremely well in the ECHL. The Heat haven't been scoring at all lately and I feel he should have received one last kick at the can.
> Ferland actually didn't look out of place in the games I saw him play, he layed some huge hits. He probably deserved more of a shot but there were just too many vets ahead of him.

Between the forwards (Kolanos, Laing, Walter, Street, Ruegsegger, Olson, Sylvester, Bancks), there are too many players that lack any sort of NHL potential. Not that having vets is a bad thing, but a few of those guys we could probably afford to cut loose in favour of prospect development. It's all about maintaining a balance. Having said that, I'm quite sure that because the city of Abbotsford gave the Flames such a great deal, they promised to ice a competitive team.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote