View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
True, but I would take Robinson over Harvey.

I think it's overstated how dominant Harvery was both ways just looking at the stats.

From what I've heard he was from a different universe defensively. Offensively, I think he benefits from being one of few defensemen producing in an era that didn't have offensive defensemen.

And it's not like offensive defenseman didn't exist before Harvery's era: Eddie Shore, Ebbie Goodfellow, King Clancy, Art Ross. It certainly wasn't widely accepted and practiced like it is today, but I don't think the concept was as foreign pre-Orr as it's made out to be.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that Harvey's value hinged on being the first offensive defenseman, or an unprecedentedly dominant offensive defenseman, but it doesn't. His value was based on being an absolutely exceptional player at both ends of the ice who dictated the pace of the game like nobody before him.

Judging him on offense alone is akin to judging Robinson on offense alone (why is he exempt from your standard?). It was a big part of his value but far from the only part.

The difference, of course, is that Harvey was for a time the best offensive defenseman in the league in addition to being the best defensive defenseman, and Robinson wasn't.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote