View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
I thought Rielly played well in the first 3 games of the tournament but last game was definitely his "off" game offensively aside from making few crisp passes and that one awesome rush.

However, I have been quite impressed with his defensive game, he seems pretty calm and steady in his own end then I have ever seen him before. He hasn't taken much risk in his play like he usually does.
He has certainly been playing a different role in the WJCs. He normally pushes the pace, dominates the puck, and takes a lot of chances, playing a very offensively aggressive game. In the WJCs he's been toning it down, still delivering great breakouts as well as very good passing in the offensive zone, but he hasn't been trying to take over offensively, he's been playing more of a complementary role. He has been surprisingly good defensively though, better than he normally is, he's been real solid in his own end.

The main thing is that he just hasn't been getting many minutes, little time at even strength and not even much icetime on the PP. I think he's looked great on the PP, but Spott seems to really like having two huge point shots, so he continues to stick with the Hamilton/Murphy pairing. I feel like Rielly has looked way better than Murphy in all situations, I don't really understand why Murphy is getting these minutes while Rielly rots on the bench, but Spott's the coach and that's just the way it is I guess. Murphy has the better shot, but Rielly has been making way better passes, he's been better on breakouts, he's been better defensively, he's just been playing a much higher IQ game, I don't see how Murphy is getting the icetime when he seems worse at everything but shooting.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote