View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Old Navy Goat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
You might not feel this way, but you sound as if you feel this extended lockout is the NHLPA's fault (mostly anyway). The NHL came out of the gate with an absolutely ridiculous offer that was roundly criticized from all corners of the hockey world as both unfair and a transparent negotiating ploy. All that did was strengthen the players' resolve and cause them to dig their heels in more than they already planned on. What kind of message did the NHL send? Sounded to me like, "you better put the gear away and grab a Snickers, because this is going to take a while".

This entire process has not been anything remotely close to a "give and take" negotiation, it's been entirely about how much the NHL will take. In what world would anyone expect the NHLPA to NOT play the 'union negotiating tactic' playbook to the hilt after that? Maybe it would've gone this route anyway, but when one side is only looking at how much they will lose, after already having their tail handed to them 7 years ago but seeing revenue almost skyrocket, would anyone expect them to not do whatever is necessary to lose as little as possible?

I don't like the situation, but I find it real hard to blame the NHLPA very much, even if the economics do need to sway toward the NHL. The league and owners simply haven't done a very convincing job of crying poor man after spending like drunken sailors, middle rung teams and wealthy teams alike, every season. Crying poor after forcing an unviable expansion plan to markets that can't compete.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't really remember the NHLPA making any formal offers in the negotiations. Their, here's 3 to pick from...2 on a single sheet of paper and the other verbal isn't exactly negotiating in good faith. It seemed as if the NHL has been negotiating against itself this entire time, while Fehr sat back and told the union to play the waiting game as they'll get better.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote