View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
If Nonis is really the brain trust of the deal then we may get what majority of fans are seeking for. Lots of people would say we won the Luongo deal w/ Big Bert going the other way. Had Bert not done what he did in doubt in my mind that was a fair trade.
Good point. Nonis fundamentally changed our team from the ground up trading in our (presumably) future starter in Auld, a former first round pick that was absolutely living up to his potential at the time in Allen, and a superstar power forward in Bertuzzi, who granted had some baggage, or otherwise wouldn't have been moved IMO.

Now I'm not saying that Nonis would match this kind of offer, but as TKT and Bleach are saying, Nonis knows what Luongo can do for a franchise that needs him. He came here on a figurative white horse and pulled a non-playoff team that couldn't score and was average defensively and powered us into the 2nd round of the playoffs, where we were eliminated by Ryan, Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Niedermayer, Beauchemin and the rest of the Ducks.

I find fault in nearly everything Nonis and Burke did wrong here, but whether or not Nonis spearheaded the deal, I believe he didn't and was simply a passenger in this trade, he had the balls to pull the trigger. What does this mean for his impact on Toronto's roster if a trade goes through? Who knows. But if Nonis is involved, I'd say he will do more then gently coax Burke into negotiations.