View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Have to be honest Mikos--I don't care for Gilroy very much.

1. He's soft.
2. For a defenseman he doesn't play very good defense.
3. His strongest point--offense--isn't that good.

He's a better skater and more skilled player than either of Bickel or Eminger however neither of those two have to be introduced to their own end of the ice. Both are tougher--especially Bickel and Eminger is far more experienced. Though they are not very exciting players--they can play effectively when they keep things simple and at least as long as you don't overplay them.

When it comes to 5-6-7 d-men I prefer that they play their position and play it hard.
Agree wholeheartedly. If Gilroy is a number 6 on an NHL roster, then that team is icing a bottom five defense. I like him in HFD, and as a call up option only because of his familiarity with the team, and the locker room. Having a positive veteran presence to help guys along, and who can step in seamlessly has its value.

Guys like Aaron Rome and Nolan Baumgartner were able to step in and play when Van got hit with the injury bug during their run to the final without hurting the team, and as it stands right now, Gilroy is the only defenseman in HFD that can be a call up.

The team values toughness and hard play as a part of the identity so no doubt the guys willing to step up will earn their time in Ranger blue.

Frankly if McIlrath shows sign of being a reliable penalty killer in the AHL, then he willl be on the roster over Bickel imo.

By the middle of next year I'd like to see an all home grown defense of

McDonaugh-Girardi
Staal-McIlrath
Del Zotto- Sauer

I didn't want two defensemen with concussions out there at the same time getting worried about being run, Staal won't be touched next to the man from Manitoba; but with Sauer being an uncertainty I don't know if this'll ever happen.