View Single Post
Old
01-02-2013, 07:22 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
At this point, for me, I'm having a hard time trying to find a reason to pick anyone besides Jones 1st overall. I think teams are built on the blueline, and Jones is exactly the kind of guy you would want to build your franchise around.

MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin are all right there in the discussion but I think Jones has to be the guy for me at this point.
You don't have Lindholm in the discussion?

As for Jones, the one drawback for me is that he seems kind of raw. Super talented, but I'm not sure he's decided on exactly what kind of player he wants to become. He tries a lot of things offensively that normally only smaller offensive dmen would try in terms of pinches, rushes and dangles, but will such a big man really be able to dangle like that at the NHL level? We've seen big dmen with finesse offensive games struggle to really learn how to use their tools effectively at the NHL level, i.e. Myers, Hedman, EJ, etc. The big men who are most effective tend to keep it simple offensively, i.e. Pronger, Chara, Weber, etc. With that being said, he also has a great shot and plenty of talent in his own end, his upside is enormous, but if I'm thinking about picking him 1st overall the main thing I'd worry about is him actually turning all of that raw talent into a polished NHL game. Massive upside, could literally be a rich man's Pietrangelo, but I do think he's a riskier pick than some of the top forwards.

Personally I'd have a pretty tough time deciding between MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm. I think I'd still go with MacKinnon, I wouldn't hold this WJC against him as he's mostly played 4th line minutes, but it's definitely a really, really tough choice.