View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
I'm not willing to say that the Flames Drafting and development has improved until their system is actually putting players onto the Flames. I think that a successful team should be putting through an average of 1 or 2 homegrown players every season.

To say that that the Flames have drafted poorly over the years, but their current group of prospects looks promising isn't worth a hill of beans. Current prospects ALWAYS look promising. It doesn't mean anything until they are on the Flames contributing. Just look at the past.

-The Flames have drafted poorly over the years but things are getting much better. Tkaczuk, Fata, Varlamov and Brochu are dominating the AHL

-The Flames have drafted poorly over the years but things are getting much better. I can't wait for those Russians Medvedev, Taratukin and Zanulin(sp?) to come over. Also, that Kobasew is gonna be a stud.

-The Flames have drafted poorly over the years but things are getting much better. Dustin Boyd looked great at WJC. And we are really deep on defence. Negrin, Aulie, Pelech and Baldwin all have top 4 potential. And Leland Irving will one day replace Kipper! Or Matt Keetley.

Get the point?

Like CGYPUKSUX suggested, the problem is not so much the drafting, but the development aspect is lacking. These were all great promising players WHEN they were drafted. Then something happened.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely writing off this current group. I'm just saying I will believe it when I see it.
Doesn't take a genius to notice the different direction the Flames' drafting is heading. The Flames have 5 prospects from the last 2 drafts playing in this year's WJC, a tournament where every country sends out its best prospects and competes. While that's not an indicator of prospects' success at the NHL level, it is clear that we are getting some quality prospects which we've never really had before.

To put the cherry on top, you won't find one list out there that doesn't have Sven in the top15 prospects in the world today. The guy is a star in the making(knock on wood)

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote