View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 04:55 AM
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Norris in 3rd season, as 21 year old. He IS the top offensive D man in the game. He IS a top pairing D man. Premier PP QB. Plays 25+ minutes per game. Beat out Chara and Weber for the Norris.

Tavares has a ways to go to get to the top. Karlsson is at the top.

While Tavares is no doubt a top level player in the game, Karlsson is one of a kind. No one has produced like that since Leetch, Coffey, etc (some of the greatests).
While true, when was the last time that a 20 year old took two ninth round picks as his 1st line wingers and managed to squeeze several 30 goal seasons out of one and two 50 point+ (one of them 67 points) out of the other?

Look......I understand how Sens fans feel Karlsson's value is higher than Tavares'.....but I still make my comparison like this - the Sens have the closest thing to Paul Coffey in the game today as an awesome weapon on their blueline, while the Isles have a center who elevates the game of his teammates not unlike Steve Yzerman.....who is the same age as, and who also is trending to improve moving forward like Erik Karlsson.

Tavares is that player who will constantly be nitpicked as 'non-elite' because what he does isn't as obvious on the score sheet as Stamkos, his career hasn't mirrored Crosby, and maybe just a little tiny bit because people seem ready to assume that nothing that has changed on Long Island between 2007 and today.

I'd still build around a Yzerman-like center rather than a likely-elite offensive defenseman, although the difference is not that far off - I am NOT knocking Karlsson, and I'd love to have a player like that on my team, but we may as well end this thread right now, because one thing is true:

The only proposal that would get either team to trade either player involves the other team's top player going back the other way, which won't happen. As much as I could understand Sens fans not wanting to trade Karlsson to get Tavares, saying that Karlsson is worth more is insane. They are two young players on different positions headed to their prime, and the value and legitimacy they give to their franchises isn't something to be given up for a package of 4 1st round picks with little NHL experience from any team.

Don't be surprised to receive ire from NYI fans when making a trade proposal for Tavares and not adding Karlsson. Believe us, that's what it would take - and I fully understand that those names could be swapped in the above sentence and still be true. As for the jokes about the Isles always missing the playoffs, they're about 2 years away from all the damage Milbury did to be wiped out; they finally have a top-echelon prospect pool (not unlike Ottawa) and the rubber meets the road once certain prospects (Strome, Niederreiter, Hamonic, Reinhart, Pelech, Cizikas, etc......and there are a LOT more names than that) force their way onto the NHL roster. The plan wasn't to continue pawning prospects off for immediate help that would only leave, landing the Islanders again trying to walk out of a steep sand dune, it's seemingly aimed to let those players develop, use placeholders and scraps from the FA market that generally ignores Long Island, go through the growing pains and reach the 'I told you so' stage at about the time the team makes it to Brooklyn, when those prospects are ready for the NHL.

Long story short, no deal. Debatably-elite for debatably-elite.