View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Agreed, especially when Hagelin or Kreider are primed to be on the opposite flank with Boyle in the middle.

I think Torts wants vets though when you consider we're a team poised for a Cup run, so I don't think we're going to see guys like Pyatt, Asham, and Rupp moved and replaced internally buy guys in Hartford. Although I wouldn't hate that scenario at all.
I agree, and if you look at Sathers and Torts approach to previous years / camps, the more depth you have the better, even if its filled with redundant vets for the lower lines. If you take a look at the opening rosters compared to the last game of the season, several things change and you need to have as many options available to you from start to finish, and a lot of those players are in the 1-2 million per year range.

Except on defense, where they've been extremely lucky IMO getting away with some healthy bodies and production from rookies. I've felt theyve needed to get one more vet D-man for each of the past 3 seasons, but its a risk they had to take on their roster cap-wise and its worked out for them, specifically with Bickel and McDonaugh (and DZ) stepping up. One more injury last season with Staal and Sauer (and Eminger at times) out and they would have been royally screwed.