View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Disagree.

I think we have the current personnel and the prospect depth to be a legit cup contender in 3-4 years.

Selling some of that prospect depth or roster players for a guy who will be 39 when we get to that point seems silly. If Boyle was 32, I'd say go for it. But 35, considering where we want to be, is just not worth the assets it would take to get him here.

Don't get me wrong: if he were a UFA or could be had at under market value, I'd be all up ons. I just don't think it's worth it for us to pay what I EXPECT the asking price would be.
I think the Sens are ready to compete now for the Cup. Not that they would be favourites... but this is the new parity NHL. You could win the Cup as an 8th seed. Not that the Senators might be a better team in a few years, but you compete to make the playoffs and try to go as deep as you can every year. Plus this year, if there is a frickin season, we still have Alfredsson.

GMs in the NHL, including Bryan Murray have a plan to win now and win later. If you can get an asset that massively increases your chances of winning this season then you do it. We have an embarrassment of riches in terms of prospects at forward. Far more then could ever fill our roster. I am not advocating trading a bunch of them or anything... you wait and see how they develop and how they help you now and how they might help later. Then if a Turris comes along you can trade for him... or if a Boyle opportunity comes along you can go for it.

Teams now do not think with a 3 or 4 year window. I mean they obviously plan for the future, but you can't afford to build or rebuild for the future. You try to make the playoffs and hope you have a healthy team that is on a roll.

I totally would not have wanted Rick Nash... but Murray kicked the tires and tried to see if he could get him. Because there is a dearth of talent in the NHL and if you can get a truly top level talent.. like Boyle is... then you try to make a deal for him.

Hardly any good players get moved anymore and few ever make it to UFA because teams resign them. It has not been this hard to get new talent in your system in the NHL for a very long time... maybe ever. You are stuck with your own prospects and players to develop. We have a great prospect base now. We should not mortgage that, but getting a top level talent. even if he is 36 years old for a couple of pieces... is not mortgaging the future.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote